IHS has more than 60 manuscript collections primarily relating to the history of Jews in Indiana. This document serves as a guide for researchers in navigating these collections. Information provided in this guide includes the collection number, name, date range and size of each collection, along with short historical background and content statements. Collections have been organized into five categories: Organizations, Congregations, Businesses, Individuals and Projects/Collections.
Two collections stand out from this list as the largest general collections of Indiana Jewish materials at IHS. They serve as a great starting point for general research:
For more specific research into the Jewish History Collections at the Indiana Historical Society, researchers can refer to the following lists of Jewish-related collections. These collections have been divided into five categories: Organizations, Congregations, Businesses, Individuals and Projects/Collections. These lists are organized alphabetically by collection name. For more complete historical/bibliographic background information and details about the contents of each collection, refer to the individual collection guides. Find full collection guides by searching for the collection number in the Library Catalog.
Congregation Beth Israel Collection, 1916–1958. M 1010, OMB 0125. One manuscript box, one OVA manuscript box, one flat file folder. Collection guide online. Temple Beth El was formed in Gary in 1907, establishing its first synagogue at Eighth and Connecticut avenues in Gary on Sept. 20, 1908. In 1913, both the Sisters of Beth El and the Hebrew Educational Alliance were formed. In 1918, a building was constructed for the use of the congregation’s youth as a part of the HEA. As a result of significant growth from 1918 to 1951, a need for newer and larger facilities for both the main Temple building and the HEA emerged. In 1947, Temple Beth El purchased a large plot of land at a cost of $17,000. On Aug. 21, 1955, after years of fund raising, the Cornerstone and Dedication Ceremonies were conducted at the new Temple Beth El building. Temple Beth El merged with the Kneseth Israel Congregation in 1976, forming the Congregation Beth Israel, which is currently located in Munster. This collection contains items which were recovered in July 2009, primarily from the cornerstone boxes of three buildings which played roles in the history of the Congregation Beth Israel of Gary. The collection is divided into three series: 1) Kneseth Israel Congregation, 2) Temple Beth El and 3) Hebrew Educational Alliance. Materials in this collection include cornerstone ceremony invitations and programs, correspondence, congregation membership lists, newspaper clippings, pew purchasing agreements, meeting minutes, booklets, a Hebrew school curriculum, readings and two Hebrew documents.
Congregation Beth-El Zedeck Records, 1899–2004. M 0804, BV 3496-3502, OMB 0096, M1013, OM 0501, DVD 0201. M0804 consists of 18 document cases, seven bound volumes, one oversize box, two boxes of photographs, two bins of slides, three video cassettes, one film reel, four artifacts. Collection guide online. M1013 is three manuscript boxes, one OVA manuscript folder, one DVD. Collection guide online. Congregation Beth-El Zedeck was formed in March 1927 from the merger of two conservative congregations: Beth-El, formed in 1915 in the area of 16th and Illinois streets in Indianapolis, and Congregation Ohev Zedeck, a community from the center of the city made up of Hungarian immigrants. In 1925, Beth-El built a new synagogue located at 34th and Ruckle streets. The merged congregations used this new facility until 1958. On Aug. 31, 1958, the congregation moved to its new $1.25 million building on the city’s then far north side at 65th Street and Spring Mill Road. This collection is separated into two parts (M0804, M1013). M0804 contains records related to the operations and activities of Congregation Beth-El Zedeck, its members and related organizations from 1899 to 2002. The collection is divided into 10 series: 1) Minutes, Papers and Programs, 2) Newsletter and Related Publications, 3) Newspaper Articles and Printed Items, 4)Financial and Building Records, 5) Membership Records and Lists, 6) Cemetery Records, 7) Cantor Zalkin Papers, 8) Beth-El Zedeck Sisterhood, Operation Records, 9) Beth-El Zedeck Sisterhood, Programs and Conferences and 10) Beth-El Zedeck Sisterhood, Financial Records. M1013 is an addition to the first collection, containing items which relate to the Congregation Beth-El Zedeck in general, as well as to the congregation’s Early Childhood Center, the Religious School, Adult and Family Education services and its Confirmation classes. The collection has been broken down into three series: 1) General Materials, 2) Special Services and Programs Materials, and 3) Confirmation Class Materials.
Congregation Ezras Achim, Indianapolis Collection, 1936–1962. BV 1975–BV1976. Two bound volumes. Collection guide online. Congregation Ezras Achim, known as the “Peddler’s Shul,” was formed in Indianapolis in 1910. The Orthodox congregation was one of many congregations located on the south side of the city which were divided along nationality lines. At some point, Ezras Achim merged with Sharah Tefilla, the “Polish Shul,” and Knesses Israel, the “Russian Shul,” to form the United Orthodox Hebrew Congregation, leaving the south side in 1966. This collection is comprised of two bound volumes. The first, BV1975, is the congregation minute book which spans the years 1936 to 1962. The second, BV1976, is the congregation minute book which spans the years 1952 to 1961. Included in both volumes are the minutes of the Ezras Achim Cemetery Association.
Etz Chaim Sephardic Congregation History, 1906–1997. SC 2812. One manuscript folder. Collection guide online. Etz Chaim is an Orthodox Sephardic Jewish Congregation in Indianapolis. The first Sephardic (of Spanish origin) Jews settled in Indianapolis in 1906. By 1916, there was a community and a congregation, and so a rabbi was hired in 1916. In 1919, the new congregation purchased a building for a synagogue and named the congregation Etz Chaim (tree of life). The congregation moved to the north side of town in 1963 and has since dedicated a new building at 6939 Hoover Road, on Sept. 25, 2005. This collection consists of a 14-page history of the congregation, prepared by Sylvia Cohen, and some associated notes. The history includes handwritten corrections and updates. Portions of the same history appear on the congregation’s web page.
Indianapolis Sephardic Jewish Congregation and Community: An Oral History Account, 2000. M 0907, CT 2016-2025. One manuscript box, 10 audio cassettes. Collection guide online. The term “Sephardic” refers to Jews of Spanish origin. The first recorded Sephardic Jews to immigrate to Indianapolis came in 1906. Others followed and a chain migration occurred where men boarded together, saved, and later on brought their wives and families. By 1919, the Indianapolis Sephardim community numbered more than 200. That year also marked the purchase of a new building and the foundation of a new synagogue Etz Chaim, formerly the Congregation Sepharad of Monastir. The arrival of the Sephardim was met with suspicion and ostracism. The Sephardim were not considered real Jews because they did not speak Yiddish. This division marked relations between the Ashkenazim (German and Eastern European Jews) and the Sephardim. The Sephardim reacted by organizing their own synagogue and social clubs such as the Young Men’s Sephardic Club. In 2000, the Indiana Jewish Historical Society conducted an oral history project called “The Indianapolis Sephardic Jewish Congregation and Community: An Oral History Account.” Five oral history accounts comprise the collection. All transcriptions along with consent forms are stored in one manuscript box. Ten audio cassettes are included with the collection and stored separately.
Sinai Temple, Marion, Indiana Records, 1924–1991. M 0847. One manuscript box. Collection guide online. The Sinai Temple is a Reform congregation centered in Marion. The current temple building, opened in 1937, is located at 521 South Boots St., Marion, Ind., 46953. On Nov. 24, 1924, the ladies of the Sinai Temple community gathered to discuss founding a Temple Sisterhood. They decided that the Sisterhood should help the temple financially, should not engage in broader civic or philanthropic work, and should work to create and support a Sunday school for the temple. In the early years of the organization, the ladies of the sisterhood raised funds among themselves, gave money to the Temple, bought chairs and card table covers, and regularly fed the Rabbi dinner. The collection consists of one manuscript box containing the minutes of the Temple Sisterhood and other committees from the years 1924 to 1991. Most of the papers were organized into three books, although there were some bundled papers and one file folder. The first book, a bound notebook containing the Sisterhood minutes from its foundation in 1924 to 1930, has been stored intact with the collection. The collection also contains Sisterhood minutes from 1974 to 1988, minutes of the Temple Board, the Building Committee, the Sunday School committee and other records for the years 1950 to 1964.
Baum, Bernard Recollections, 1903. SC 1745. One manuscript folder. Collection Guide online. Bernard Baum was born on Nov. 7, 1822, in Simmern under Dhaun, Germany. He was married on May 15, 1850. Baum immigrated to the United States in 1852, where he became a traveling merchant in Louisville, Ky. In 1854, Baum opened his first store. In 1856, Baum and his family moved to Henderson, where he set up a second dry goods store. In 1863, Baum moved his family to Evansville in order to escape the danger that Civil War fighting presented. He kept the store in Henderson, opening another in Evansville. In 1873, business was bad and Baum sold his store in Henderson. On May 10, 1888, Bernard and his wife moved to San Francisco. This collection is contained in one legal-sized manuscript folder, which contains a typed transcript titled “Recollection of Bernard Baum.” This manuscript is written as a letter by Bernard Baum addressed to his children. Written from Oct. 15, 1902 to Jan. 18, 1903, this letter covers all of the main events of Bernard Baum’s life up to 1903.
Blain, Michael A. Materials, 1937–2010. M 1011. One manuscript box, two OVA manuscript folders, two photograph folders, one DVD, one audio cassette, one VHS tape, six artifacts. Collection Guide online. Michael A. Blain was born Maylech Blobstein on March 2, 1928, in a village in Czechoslovakia. Of Blain’s family, all but Blain and his brother Sam were killed during the Holocaust. Blain moved to the US in 1949. After moving to Cleveland in 1957, Blain was president of his B’nai B’rith lodge and a very active member of B’nai B’rith International. He has also been distinguished for his work as editor of the Cleveland Craftsman. Since moving to Indianapolis in 1971, Blain has served on the boards of Beth-El Zedeck, B’nai Torah, JFGL, JEA/BJE, JCRC,Lubavitch of Indiana and the Hasten Hebrew Academy. He is also past president of Keren L’Israel Investment Club, and a founder of the Indianapolis Yiddish Club. Blain is most widely known for his work as head of the Indiana-Illinois Regional Office of Israel Bonds from 1973 to 2006. During his tenure there, Blain’s office generated some $100 million investment capital for Israel. Materials in this collection include Blain’s personal papers: biographical materials, certificates letters, clippings, articles, pamphlets, programs, photographs and other miscellaneous papers. The collection also includes six plaques/awards, one videocassette, one DVD, one audio cassette, two passports, one prayer book, 32 business/ID/membership cards, and one photograph of Haifa. The collection is broken into four series: 1) Biographical and Personal Materials, 2) Photographs and 3) Awards and Honors.
Blumenthal, Minnie Collection, ca. 1907–1983. SC 2887. One manuscript folder. Collection Guide online. Minnie Blumenthal was born in Marion in January 1879. Minnie was the daughter of Morrisand Ida Blumenthal. Born in Germany, Morris became a merchant in Marion, and he also built the Blumenthal building on courthouse square in that city. Morris Blumenthal was one of the only Jewish merchants in Marion at the time. On June 21, 1900, Minnie married the assistant district attorney of New York City, Maurice B. Blumenthal (1870–1948). Maurice was a central player in the Tammany Hall political scene of New York City, becoming Deputy Attorney Generalof New York State in 1903. Maurice was a prominent Jewish figure in New York City, being the grandson of Simon Blumenthal, first Rabbi Congregation Rodeph Shalom. This is a small collection of items which Minnie Blumenthal gave to A. Gene Resneck of Kokomo in 1977. The collection includes a menu printed on silk from a 1907 banquet in benefit of Maurice’s political career in New York City. There is also a photograph of Minnie. Along with these items is the photocopy of a statement, written by Resneck, which describes the items in the collection and the occasion of Minnie gifting them to her. The photocopy also includes some handwritten biographical information about Minnie Blumenthal and her father. The entire collection is kept in one legal-size file folder.
Deckelbaum, Nahoma F. Collection, ca. 1916–1971. SC 2888. One manuscript folder, one photograph folder. Collection guide online. Nahoma Deckelbaum was born Nahoma Schneider on Feb. 10, 1922. Nahoma married Charles B. Feiblemanof Indianapolis on Feb. 1, 1941. Charles was the son of Isidore and Ella Feibleman. Isidore was active in Indianapolis area B’nai B’rith International and founded the law firm of Bamberger and Feibleman in 1898. By the time of his death in 1971, Charles was a senior member of this law firm. Charles Feibleman was very active in the Indianapolis Jewish community, serving as president of the Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation, as well as the B’nai B’rith Lodge No. 58. He also served on the board of the Jewish Welfare Federation. He died of cancer on March 5, 1971. After Charles’ death, Nahoma married William Deckelbaum (Nov. 26, 1972). Items in this collection primarily relate to Charles B. Feibleman of Indianapolis. Materials include an obituary news clipping and the clipping of a story about Charles Feibleman’s service during WWII. There are also two pictures of Charles’ father, Isidore Feibleman. One is a portrait and the other is an image taken the B’nai B’rith Initiation at the Claypool Hotel (1916). Another item relating to Charles Feibleman is a poster for the Kirshbaum drama workshop presentation of Arsenic and Old Lace. The collection also includes a news clipping announcing a reception celebrating the 75th birthday of Rabbi Morris M. Feuerlicht as well as the 50th anniversary of his move to Indianapolis (1954).
Einstandig, Max Collection, 1880–2009. M 0842, OMB 0100, M 1015. M 0842 is 13 manuscript boxes, one oversize box, two folders of photographs, one folder of color photographs, one flat file, three artifacts. Collection guide online. M 1015 is seven manuscript boxes, one OMB boxes, one OVC folder, one box of photographs, one artifact. No collection guide available. Max Einstandig was born in Vienna, Austria, on June 15, 1912, to Jacob and Yetta Einstandig. He came to the United States on July 10, 1914, settling with his family in Indianapolis. In 1934, Max married Bess Peltz; they had three children. He sold furniture in South Bend and Chicago, then in 1946 to 1947 opened JEBB’s (the name created from the first names of his wife and his three children) in Terre Haute. Max Einstandig was heavily involved in Jewish community organizations at the local and national levels, most notably B’nai B’rith and the Anti-Defamation League of B’nai B’rith. Einstandig was a founder of the Indiana Jewish Historical Society. Max Einstandig died on Nov. 12, 2006. This collection is separated into two parts (M0842, M1015). Collection M0842 contains Einstandig’s personal work papers, as well as material distributed by and about the various Jewish organizations of Indiana. The collection is divided into five series; covering four significant organizations (Indiana Jewish Historical Society,B’nai B’rith, Hillel and B’nai B’rith Youth Organization, and the Anti-Defamation League) and miscellaneous papers. Collection M1015 is an addition to M0842. It also contains the personal and business files of Max Einstandig, but also includes personal memorabilia of Max and Bess Einstandig and their extended families, along with items related to the Jewish community of Terre Haute, specifically the Jewish War Veterans chapter.
Endelman, Judith E. Papers, 1978–1984. M 0814, CT 2078-2084. Six manuscript boxes, one photograph box, one color photograph, six negatives, seven audio cassettes. Collection guide online. In 1982, Judith Endelman moved to Bloomington, Indiana, and was an assistant librarian at the Lilly Library of Indiana University. Since 1986, she has worked at the Henry Ford Museum, where she is currently director of the Benson Ford Research Center. In 1979, Endelman was hired by the Jewish Welfare Federation in Indianapolis to edit a history of the Indianapolis Jewish community. Work and research continued on the book until its publication by the Indiana University Press in 1984. This collection contains the notes and resources used by Judith Endelman in the writing of her book, The Jewish Community of Indianapolis: 1849 to the Present. The collection has been divided into four series: 1) Research and Resources, 2) Writings and Presentations, 3) Research Notes and 4) Photographs.
Fleck, Henry Letters, 1941–1945. M 0765. Three manuscript boxes. Collection guide online. Henry Fleck (1915–1981) was a native of Marion, where he opened a legal practice. Early in 1942, he enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corps. Fleck served in Europe as a radio operator and was in charge of a cryptographic section for the 8th TAC Air Command Squadron, attaining the rank of sergeant. After the war Fleck returned to Marion, and became a partner in a ladies’ clothing store owned by his parents, Samuel and Lillie Hutner Fleck, and founded by his grandparents, called “The Paris.” In 1948, he married Betty Holland, and the couple had two children. Henry Fleck died in Houston of liver cancer in 1981. The collection consists of approximately 485 letters primarily written by Henry Fleck to his parents in Marion while serving in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II. The letters begin during Tech School Squadron training at Jefferson Barracks Missouri, (March through May 1942), and continuing at Richmond, Virginia (June through December 1942). The letters are of a general nature focusing on off-duty activities, including those pertaining to his Jewish faith. Fleck also wrote from England, France, Brussels and Germany as he traveled during the war. Other letters in the collection include those to his relatives, along with a few from his relatives to his parents and two from rabbis serving with the Army relaying impressions of Henry Fleck and his devotion to his faith.
Freeman, Julian Collection, 1932–1978. M 0356, OM 0463, F 1712. Three manuscript boxes, one oversize manuscript folder, one microfilm, two folders of photographs, one folder of color photographs, eight pamphlets. Collection guide online. Julian Freeman (1897–1980), a prominent businessman, became an influential community activist within the local and national Jewish community. He married an Indianapolis woman Esther Freeman and made Indianapolis his permanent home in 1926. Freeman was president of his synagogue Beth El-Zedeck. Julian Freeman served as president of the Indianapolis Jewish Welfare Fund, the Council of Jewish Federations and Welfare Funds, and of the Indianapolis Jewish Welfare Federation. Freeman was also a founder of the National Foundation for Jewish Culture and the National Jewish Community Relations Advisory Council. This collection includes three manuscript boxes. Box 1 contains correspondence and two manuscripts.The remaining two boxes contain materials from the various local and national Jewish organizations that Freeman was a member of. The bulk dates for the materials are from 1960 to 1978. Photographs in the collection show the groundbreaking and cornerstone ceremony for the Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation in the late 1950s and the Jewish Community Center and the buildings that preceded it. The oversize folder contains a scrapbook of newspaper clippings relating to the Indianapolis Jewish Community Relations Advisory Council. The printed items consist of eight pamphlets.
Heppner, Ernest G. Collection, ca. 1962–2001. M 0978, OMB 0117. One manuscript box, one oversize manuscript box, two folders of photographs, two folders of color photographs, 10 VHS tapes. Collection guide online. Ernest Heppner was born in Breslau, Germany in 1921. In 1939, amidst persecution of the Jewish people in Germany, he and his mother fled to Shanghai, China. He was interned in the Shanghai Ghetto by Japanese armed forces after Pearl Harbor and liberated by U.S. troops at the end of WWII. In 1947, he came to the U.S. and settled in Indianapolis. In 1993, Heppner authored the book, Shanghai Refuge: A Memoir of the World War II Jewish Ghetto. Heppner made many speeches, gave lectures and wrote articles about the Holocaust, extremism and racism. He was active in a number of different organizations including the Anti-Defamation League and the Indianapolis Jewish Community Relations Council. Heppner died on Oct. 6, 2004. This collection is divided into two series. Series one contains information about Ernest Heppner’s speeches, awards and book publication. It begins with some copies of speeches that Heppner made with some photographs from those events. Three folders (4-6) contain publicity and announcements for events where Heppner was featured. The last part of this series contains a scrapbook and some loose materials that went with that. The scrapbook contains certificates, clippings, announcements, photographs and correspondence about Heppner’s accomplishments and events. Series two contains 10 VHS tapes. These were recordings of Heppner’s interviews and documentaries. The two main subjects are the Final Solution in Germany and the Ku Klux Klan in Indiana.
Nelson Family Collection, 1900–2007. M 0980. Two manuscript boxes, two oversize manuscript folders, one scrapbook (OVA), three boxes of photographs, two boxes of color photographs, one panoramic photograph. Collection guide online. This collection centers on the Harry and Frances Nelson family from Munster, originally Gary. The couple was married on June 29, 1941. They had three children, William “Billy” (born 1946), Larry (died at age 21 in 1970), and Susie (murdered at age 26 in 1976). Harry was born in May 1913 to Fanny and Wilfred Nelson (1871-1922). His brother was Jack Nelson and his sister was Nettie Nelson. Frances was born in November 1919 to Irving (d. 1965) and Rae Givens (d. 1985). Much of this collection consisted of scrapbooks and photo albums containing images and other materials that related to the lives of the Nelson family from weddings, funerals, births, Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, new homes, vacations, etc. There were also certificates that were received based on achievements, service or donations from different members of the family among other miscellaneous manuscript materials. The collection is divided into four series: 1) Scrapbooks and Photo Albums, 2) Family and Congregation Events, Genealogy and Photographs, 3) Travel Plans and Photographs and 4) Newsletters.
Pendley, Trent D. Collection, 1996–2006. M 0927, M 1014. M 0927 is one half-width manuscript box. Collection guide online. M1014 is one manuscript box. No collection guide available. Trent D. Pendley became a member of the Indiana Jewish Historical Society at 18 and was elected its president in October 2003. He is now serving his sixth term in office. He is a member of Temple Israel in Miller Beach (Gary). This collection is separated into two parts (M0927, M1014). Collection M0927 contains correspondence,newspaper clippings, bulletins from Temple Israel, flyers, invitations, programs and brochures. Collection M1014 contains editorials, guest articles and printed materials written by Trent, correspondence and mailings, archives additions, newspaper clippings, and miscellaneous materials relating to Temple Israel, the Jewish Federation of Northwest Indiana, and the Anti-Defamation League.
Rauh, Samuel E. and Charles S. Papers, 1900–1948. M 0406. Two manuscript boxes. Collection guide online. Samuel Elias Rauh (1853-1935) was born in Germersheim, Bavaria, Germany. He immigrated to Dayton, Ohio, with his mother and six siblings in 1866. In 1874, Samuel came to Indianapolis to establish a branch of the family tanning firm. Samuel Rauh served as the director and president of multiple firms, most notably the Indianapolis Belt Railroad and the Stock Yards Company, of which he was Chairman of the Board until the time of his death in 1935. Samuel belonged to the Indiana Democratic Club, the Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation and was active in the American Jewish Relief Committee. Charles Sterne Rauh (1883-1956), the son of Samuel E. and Emma Sterne Rauh, was also very prominent in Indianapolis business. After working for the family business, he succeeded his father as president and chairman of the board of the Indianapolis Belt Railroad and the Stock Yards Company until his death in 1956. Charles Rauh was a noted civic worker and philanthropist, contributing especially to Jewish charities. The Samuel and Charles Rauh Papers consist of two manuscript boxes containing personal and business documents from 1900 to 1948. Most of the collection deals with Rauh’s correspondence and financial affairs of a personal and business nature. The business dealings primarily involve industries in which the Rauhs held interests and/or directorships, along with documents concerning the operation of E. Rauh and Sons. Personal materials include wills, estate values, documents concerning the Rauh’s home finances, newspaper clippings and membership cards.
B’nai B’rith Indiana Materials, 1956–1993. M 0902, OM 0443. Two manuscript boxes, two oversized folders, one folder of photographs. Collection guide online. The B’nai B’rith was founded in New York in 1843 with the purposes of intensifying and raising the level of Jewish community life. As a fraternal organization, its interests are cultural, philanthropic, political and social. The name means “Sons of the Covenant.” The B’nai B’rith Abraham Lodge No. 58 was founded in Indianapolis in 1864; the Esther Lodge No. 323 was established in the 1880s. The two groups merged in 1907 to1908 to form the Indianapolis Lodge. The Women’s Auxiliary Lodge began in 1940. Of all the local Jewish organizations established during the 1860s and 1870s, only the B’nai B’rith remains active today. This collection has been divided into three series: 1) B’nai B’rith Indiana State Associations Annual Conventions, 2) B’nai B’rith Women Indiana State Association and 3) B’nai B’rith Men Indianapolis Lodge #58. Series 1 contains convention programs and agendas, biographies, fliers, finances, newsletters and reports. There are also some member photographs and oversized manuscript folders with the B’nai B’rith logo and newspaper clippings. Series 2 contains meeting minutes, programs and yearbooks from the B’nai B’rith Women Indiana Council and the State Association. Series 3 contains membership rosters, newsletters, correspondence and newspaper clippings of Indianapolis Lodge #58.
B’nai B’rith Lodge # 58 Records, 1923–1944. M 0362. Three manuscript boxes. Collection Guide in library. The B’nai B’rith was founded in New York in 1843 with the purposes of intensifying and raising the level of Jewish community life. As a fraternal organization, its interests are cultural, philanthropic, political and social. The name means “Sons of the Covenant.” The B’nai B’rith Abraham Lodge No. 58 was founded in Indianapolis in 1864; the Esther Lodge No. 323 was established in the 1880s. The two groups merged in 1907 to 1908 to form the Indianapolis Lodge. The Women’s Auxiliary Lodge began in 1940. Of all the local Jewish organizations established during the 1860s and 1870s, only the B’nai B’rith remains active today. The collection is comprised of minutes dating from 1923 to 1944, originally filed in seven notebooks.The minutes include records of regular and executive meetings, budgets, financial reports, officer lists, committee lists, new member lists, presidential reports, correspondence and bylaw amendments. Topics include the A.Z.A., the Hillel Foundation, the Americanization and employment of refugees, gifts to charitable organizations, social service activities, an anti-Klan program and the organization’s fight against anti-Semitism.
Deb-Ette Club Records, 1937–1986. M 0898. One manuscript box, one box of color photographs, one OVA box of photographs, two OVA boxes of color photographs, four artifacts. Collection guide online. Deb-Ette Club, a Jewish sorority made up of high school female students from all over Indianapolis (including Broad Ripple High School, Tudor Hall, Shortridge and Carmel Clay) existed from 1937 until the late 1980s.The Deb-Ette Club was primarily a social club but also promoted philanthropic and academic activities. Members held meetings in their homes. Records include six scrapbooks, member photographs, membership rosters, constitution and miscellaneous material. The collection contains four artifacts: two plaques, one trophy and one gavel.
Fort Wayne Jewish Federation Records, 1932–1981. M 0843, OM 0423. Eighteen manuscript boxes, three oversize folders, three folders of photographs. Collection guide online. The Fort Wayne Jewish Federation, like other federations, was intended to bring together the entire Jewish community. Founded in 1921 as the Fort Wayne Federation of Jewish Charities, it became the Fort Wayne Jewish Federation in 1936. The Federation was founded to coordinate fundraising and relief efforts, but has today expanded its mission to fight prejudice, educate about Jewish interests and strengthen community ties. The collection consists of approximately 5 cubic feet of the Federation’s files, the bulk of which are from the 1930s–1950s. The original order and folder names have been retained. The collection has been divided into two series; Administrative Records and Casework. The first series includes bound financial statements, meeting minutes, correspondence and files on Fort Wayne Jewish organizations.The second series contains the records of individuals assisted by the Federation in the 1930s through 1960s.
Greenwald, Indianapolis B’nai B’rith Collection, 1949–2001. M 1008. Two manuscript boxes, one OVA manuscript box, one OVB manuscript box, one box of photographs. Collection guide online. Aleph Zadik Aleph was first organized in Omaha, Nebraska in 1923 by attorney Sam Beber. He began the Jewish boys club with the hope that the organization would help strengthen their loyalty and respect for both their Jewish heritage and their American citizenship. As AZA grew, Beber sought sponsorship from B’nai B’rith International. In response to the growth of AZA, girls groups began to form throughout the country, often funded by local women’s chapters of B’nai B’rith. As original members of both AZA and BBG grew older, B’nai B’rith Young Women’s and Young Men’s groups began to form. In May 1944, the B’nai B’rith Youth Organization was created to oversee all four groups. This collection contains a wide range of materials relating to Indianapolis chapters of Aleph Zadik Aleph, B’nai B’rith Girls, B’nai B’rith Youth Organization and B’nai B’rith. Materials include membership lists, minutes from chapter meetings, photographs, scrapbook pages, newspaper clippings, by-laws, awards, event memorabilia and print materials. Donated by Sheila Greenwald in 2006, the bulk of the collection consists of scrapbook pages, photographs and personal notes from Sheila Greenwald and her daughter Rochelle.
Hadassah Chapters of Lake County, Indiana Records, 1939–1978. M 0921. Four manuscript boxes. Collection guide online. Hadassah, a women’s Zionist organization, was founded in New York City in 1912 by Henrietta Szold. Hadassah’s aim was “the propagation of Zionism in America, and the establishment of health and welfare for women and children in Palestine.” The Hadassah chapter in Hammond, Indiana was established in 1926. The group funded charities in Palestine and a hospital which was to become the most advanced medical institution in the Middle East. They supported the establishment of a Jewish homeland in Palestine. The Hadassah chapter in Munster formed in 1969.The Illiana chapter formed in 1975. The majority of the records in this collection date from the 1960s. The bulk of Box 1 contains bulletins from the Hammond, Illiana, and Gary chapters. The finance records in this file include one statement of receipts and disbursement, a receipt and four donation cards. Boxes 2 and 3 hold yearbooks beginning in 1939 and ending in 1976, with some issues missing. Miscellaneous materials included in Box 4 contain two raffle tickets, an award and tree sales records.
Hasten Hebrew Academy of Indianapolis Materials, 1971–2005. M 0906, OM 0444. Four manuscript boxes, one oversized folder, two folders of photographs, one OVA folder of color photographs, one panoramic color photograph in flat file storage. Collection guide online. The opening of the Hebrew Academy of Indianapolis coincided with a national movement to re-establish Jewish day schools, which took the place of public schools. The Hebrew Academy of Indianapolis opened its doors on Sept. 7, 1971. Initial enrollment consisted of 20 students in kindergarten through first grade. Classes were held at B’nai Torah for the next five-and-a-half years. In March 1977, after completion of a new school building, the Hebrew Academy moved to its current location. The Hebrew Academy of Indianapolis changed its name in 1996 to the Hasten Hebrew Academy of Indianapolis. The Hasten Hebrew Academy combines religious and secular instruction. Materials in this collection range in date from 1971, when the Hebrew Academy of Indianapolis was founded, to 2005. Box 1 contains the constitution and by-laws, state accreditation documents, correspondence, newspaper clippings, Academy News publications and miscellaneous papers. The miscellaneous documents include school calendars, programs, awards and a mission statement. Box 2 contains some of the HAI’s yearbooks beginning with 1975 and ending with 2005. Box 3 and 4 contain the annual HAI award Souvenir Journals beginning with 1972 and running through 2005. The collection also contains various oversize printed materials and oversize color photographs.
Hillel Foundation at Purdue University Records, 1946–1994. M 0878, OM 0436. Eighteen manuscript boxes, four oversized folders, three boxes of photographs, one box of color photographs, one artifact. Collection guide online. Hillel, a campus organization for Jewish college students, was founded in 1923 at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign and began to expand nationwide with the support of B’nai B’rith in 1924. Its purpose is to offer a broad variety of Jewish-related social, cultural and religious activities to all Jewish students, bringing together and providing for the needs of students of different religious and ethnic backgrounds. In September 1939, the “Purdue Union of Jewish Youth” in West Lafayette became an official chapter of the Hillel organization. In 1951, Purdue Hillel moved into a new building at 912 State St., where it remains today. This collection has been divided into five series: 1) Committee for Human Rights in the Soviet Union, 2) Holocaust Remembrance Conference, 3) Newsletters, 4) Correspondence and Administration and 5) General Materials. The collection contains accounts of activities and events relating to the different committees, correspondence, letters and drafts for many newsletters, along with the final printed materials, and items relating to various individuals involved in the organization.
Indiana Jewish Historical Society Collection, 1845–2009. M 0743 OMB 0082, BV 3326-3376, F 1309-1349, CT 0902-0931, R 2416-2431, M1016. M0743 is 138 manuscript boxes, two oversize boxes, 50 bound volumes, 41 reels of microfilm, 30 cassette tapes, two video recordings, 16 artifacts. Collection guide online. M1016: Two manuscript boxes, nine DVDs. Collection guide online. The Indiana Jewish Historical Society was founded in 1972 to collect, preserve and publish material involving 200 years of Jewish life in Indiana. The organization aims to gather and preserve the records of synagogues, temples and societies. In doing so, the IJHS aims to provide data not always available to historians, scholars and authors, thus helping to provide an awareness of the role played by Jews and Jewish communities in the creation of the religious climate of Indiana. This collection is separated into two parts (M0743, M1016). Collection M0743, the larger of the two, is divided into four major series. The first series includes records from the Fort Wayne Jewish community; series two is from the Indianapolis community; series three represents all other Indiana cities and towns that have contributed information to the Indiana Jewish Historical Society; and series four contains records from statewide organizations. Materials in this collection include: Jewish life cycle demonstrations, such as Bar Mitzvah certificates, Confirmation certificates, Katubbot (marriage contracts); personal memorabilia, scrapbooks and diaries; burial and cemetery records; government documents such as naturalization records; newspaper and magazine articles; and photographs. Collection M1016 has been split into four series. Series 1 details the Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation Cemetery Project and includes maps, photographs of cemeteries and the project team, as well as 10 DVDs containing photographs and documents related to the project. The other three series (Individuals, Temple B’nai Israel Materials, and Miscellaneous Jewish Organizations Materials) include news clippings, pamphlets, brochures, handouts, temple directories, newsletters, mailings, membership directories, calendars, the CD Echoes and Reflections: A Multimedia Curriculum on the Holocaust, which was produced by the Anti-Defamation League, and a collection of 10 Temple B’nai Israel yarmulkes,
Jewish Community Center Collection (Indianapolis), 1852–1981. M 0349. Six manuscript boxes, one half-size photograph box, two oversize photograph folders in flat files, two oversize graphic folders in flat files, one printed item. Collection guide online. The first Jewish Community Center buildings in Indianapolis were the Nathan Morris House (1904) and the Communal Building (1913). Owned by the Jewish Federation, both were focused on serving the immigrant and indigent Jewish populations on the south side of the city. By the mid-1920s, as Jews prospered and immigrants became acculturated, the Jewish Federation decided to establish a new JCC on the more prosperous north side of Indianapolis, opening the Kirshbaum Center in 1926. Following WWII, both the Communal Building and the Kirshbaum Center were closed, replaced by the Jewish Center in 1958, which still serves the Indianapolis Jewish Community today. The Jewish Community Center collection is comprised of materials not only from the JCC but also from various agencies within the Jewish Federation which heads the JCC. Among the materials, researchers will find items related to those community centers that predated the JCC such as the Communal Building and the Kirshbaum Center. The bulk dates of the materials center around the 1950s through the 1960s and end by the early 1980s when the collection was donated. Almost all the materials focus on Indianapolis where the Jewish Community Center is located.
Jewish Federation of Greater Indianapolis Records, 1880–Ongoing. M 0463, OMB 0013, CT 0568-0572, M0967, OM 0472, M1017. M0463 is 359 manuscript boxes, one oversize box, four cassette tapes, three photograph boxes, one color photograph box, one OVA photographs folder, one OVC graphics box, one oversize graphic in flat file storage, one box of 4 x 5 polyester negatives, one 8 x 10 acetate negative. Collection guide online. M0967 is 41 manuscript boxes, 3 OM folders, 1 oversize graphic in flat file storage. Collection guide online. M1017 is 10 manuscript boxes, 2 OVB manuscript folders, 3 OVC manuscript folders, 10 black andwhite photograph boxes, 1 OVB black and white photograph folder, 7 color photograph boxes, 1 slide box, 1 bound volume. No collection guide available. The Jewish Federation of Greater Indianapolis was established in 1905 as the Jewish Federation to centralize fund raising and allocate funds to support local and national Jewish organizations. The federation provided services to the poor in the Jewish immigrant community through financial support, employment opportunities,health care and assistance in adjusting to American life. In 1948 the Jewish Federation and the Jewish Welfare Fund were combined and reorganized to form the Jewish Welfare Federation of Indianapolis. The Federation continues to support the needs of the United Jewish Appeal, local organizations, and overseas and national agencies. Financial support is received from the annual JWF campaign, the United Way, membership dues, fees from local Jewish agencies and the endowment. This is the library’s largest collection, with more than 400 boxes of material separated into three parts (M0463, M0967, M1017). Collection M0463 is the largest of the three, containing correspondence, records, special event materials, fund raising information and printed materials related to various predecessor and affiliate organizations of the Jewish Federation dating from 1903 to the present. Collection M0967 is a continuation of M0463, with materials dating from 1965 to 1995. Materials in this collection include correspondence to and from the Jewish Federation and numerous other related organizations and individuals, meeting minutes from various affiliated organizations, and fund raising materials and correspondence for campaigns. Collection M1017 is the most recent addition of JFGI material. This collection contains committee minute books, records, printed materials, correspondence, financial records, architectural drawings and floor plans, and the materials of various individuals, as well as predecessor and affiliate organization of the JFGI. This collection also includes 17 boxes of photographs and one box of slides.
Jewish Federation of Northwest Indiana Materials, 1975–2004. M 0909. One manuscript box, one OMB manuscript box. Collection guide online. The Jewish Federation of Northwest Indiana is a conglomerate of various regional Jewish Federations (Hammond, Gary, and East Chicago). The mergers occurred in the 1950s and 1960s. They are located in Munster in northwest Indiana. Scholarships, a food pantry, services for the youth and elderly are some of the programs instituted at the Jewish Federation. Services are not limited to the Jewish community. Illiana News, a monthly publication by the Jewish Federation of Northwest Indiana printed its first issue in 1975. This collection contains correspondence addressed to Trent D. Pendley, the past president of the Indiana Jewish Historical Society, from institutions and organizations inviting Mr. Pendley to various programs and events. Miscellaneous materials include 15 business cards from various businesses in northwest Indiana, a 1981 Jewish Welfare Fund-Project Renewal Fund Campaign Pledge listing, a Sinai Temple bulletin, tourist information for Lake County, newspaper clippings chronicling the Jewish community of Northwest Indiana and Temple Israel Yearbooks. Issues of Illiana News from 1975 to 2004 are contained in the oversize manuscript box.
Jewish War Veterans of the USA Post 114, Indianapolis Collection, 1993–2002. M 0965. One half-size manuscript box, one box of colored photographs. Collection guide online. The Jewish War Veterans of the USA was established in 1896 and is the oldest veterans group in the United States. The JWV holds a Congressional charter under Title 36 of the United States Code. Today, the group separates its activities into four categories: patriotic, Jewish, service and affinity. Generally, the JWV engage in advocacy to preserve religious freedom and separation of church and state as it relates to the US military. In 1934, the JWV national organization approved the charter of Indianapolis Post #114. This collection is divided into three series. Series 1 contains meeting announcements, original charter, meeting minutes, letters from new members introducing themselves, materials relating to the history of JWV and other miscellaneous letters and JWV documents. Series 2 contains various printed materials from the JWV post, including promotional pamphlets, envelope art and JWV Post 114 letter head. Series 3 contains assorted color photographs of various events, banquets, meetings, Memorial Day celebrations and hospital visits.
Jewish Women International, Indianapolis Chapter Materials, 1962–2002. M 0911, OMB 0111. Four manuscript boxes, one oversize manuscript box, one box of photographs, one box of color photographs, 12 artifacts. Collection guide online. B’nai B’rith is a national Jewish fraternal organization for men founded in 1843. Jewish women formed an auxiliary group by 1909. In 1940, the national B’nai B’rith Women organization was born, dropping the term “auxiliary.” In 1953, women delegates were allowed to vote in national B’nai B’rith conventions, and by 1957, the name B’nai B’rith Women became official. In 1996, the name B’nai B’rith Women was dropped in favor of the more inclusive term Jewish Women International. Like its male counterpart, B’nai B’rith Women was a social and philanthropic organization with a focus on women’s issues such as children’s welfare, domestic violence and women’s rights. Locally, Indianapolis B’nai B’rith Women Chapter 324 was first chartered in 1941 and folded in 2002. Most materials in this collection relate to the Indianapolis B’nai B’rith Women Chapter 324, with other items originating from the Menorah Chapter 924 and from the B’nai B’rith Women national organization. Materials include yearbooks, scrapbooks, program and event materials, awards, operational records, meeting minutes, directories, membership rosters, correspondence, chapter bulletins, newspaper clippings and various printed materials. The oversize manuscript box contains five folders of scrapbooks from 1969 through 1974. There are two document cases of visual materials containing black-and-white and color photographs. Artifacts include two tablecloths and one page of artifacts (12 pins).
Michigan City Jewish Archives Collection, 1919–2008. M 1009. One manuscript box, one DVD. Collection guide online. Sinai Temple is located at 2800 Franklin St., Michigan City, Ind. It is a member of the Union for Reform Judaism. The history of Sinai Temple dates back to 1904, when the first reform Jewish services were held in Michigan City. In 1912 to 1913, a congregation under the leadership of Moses Moritz adopted the name “Sinai Congregation.” After an increase in membership post-World War II, a new Temple Center imperative emerged, leading to the construction of the current Temple building (which opened in May 1953). This collection contains a variety of materials related to the Indiana Jewish Historical Society and the Sinai Temple of Michigan City. The collection contains scrapbook pages which have newspaper clippings, pamphlets, photographs and Sinai Temple confirmation services programs that all relate to the family of Dr. B.H. Kaplan. Other materials in the collection are photocopies of two handwritten documents and photographs, two Indiana Jewish Historical Society mailings from 2008, a blank card and 11 2008 issues of the Sinai Temple Bulletin. The final item in this collection is a compact disc which contains the “Citizens Bank Interview” of Irving Levin (1909 to 1978).
National Conference of Christians and Jews Records, 1962–1980. M 0360. Eight manuscript boxes. Collection guide online. The Indiana regional organization of National Conference of Christians and Jews has been in existence since at least 1955. There is a board of about 25 members. A distinct effort is made to balance various groups on the board, which includes well-known civic leaders. Principal sources of revenue are memberships, both corporate and individual, and an annual Brotherhood Dinner which not only gives awards but raises funds. For adults, the principal NCCJ programs have been organized dialogues between different groups – Clergy-Business, Black-Jewish, Labor-Management and Interfaith; conferences on subjects like criminal justice, affirmative action and the Holocaust; and Brotherhood dinners and awards. For young adults, there has been an ongoing program of High School Human Relations Councils and Awards, as well as a Peer Leadership program and a Youth Council. For younger children there is a continuing Green Circle program. This collection, filling eight manuscript boxes, consists of minutes, correspondence, circulars and programs from the period 1962 to 1980. It is arranged by organization and function chronologically. Series 1 contains records of the Indiana regional office of NCCJ, from 1964 to 80 with heavy emphasis on the years 1977 to 1979. Among the related items are correspondence from 1978 to 1979; monthly program reports for the years 1964 to 1977, and papers from individual conferences and dialogues. There also is a complete account of the membership campaigns of 1978 and 1979. Related items from other Indiana cities include an incomplete file of the regional newsletter, as well as accounts of early activity in Fort Wayne and South Bend. Series 2 contains material from the national organization such as workshops, correspondence newsletters and correspondence, 1979. Series 3 includes materials from related organizations at the local and national level.
Rabbi Neustadt United Hebrew School Minute Book Photocopies, 1900–1922. SC 2644. One manuscript folder. Collection guide online. The United Hebrew School opened in Indianapolis on Nov. 12, 1911. Rabbi Isaac Elhanan Neustadt was principally responsible for establishing the school. Rabbi Neustadt’s intention was to provide Hebrew education to all Jewish children in Indianapolis. Classes met in the Sharah Tefilla synagogue on the south side and in the Ohev Zedeck synagogue on the north side (Market Street). Instructions were given in Hebrew, and the staff employed the latest teaching methods. When Rabbi Neustadt died in 1913, the school name was changed to the Rabbi Neustadt United Hebrew Schools. Around 1925, the program’s name was changed to the Jewish Educational Association. This collection is comprised of photocopies of the minutes of the United Hebrew School’s board of directors, Oct. 25,1911 to Feb. 20, 1920. The book also includes a listing of board members and their attendance records, financial records, correspondence and the Proceedings of the Third Annual Convention of the Federation of American Zionists in New York, 1900.
State of Israel Bonds Organization, Indiana Records, 1948–2005. M 0932, OM 0457, CT 2060-2066. Eight manuscript boxes, one oversize manuscript folder, seven audio cassettes, two boxes of photographs, five boxes of color photographs, 17 artifacts. Collection guide online. The State of Israel Bonds Organization was founded in 1951 with the purpose of selling securities issued by Israel’s government in order to fund the development of a national infrastructure in the wake of Israel’s War of Independence. Locally, the State of Israel Bonds, Indiana office opened in 1951 and closed in 2005. Michael Blain represented the Indianapolis office for 31 years (1974 to 2005). Dinners were held annually to sell bonds and to honor local Jewish community leaders. In 2003, Indiana invested $5 million in Israeli bonds, and again in 2007. A women’s division of the State of Israel Bonds organization formed in 1954 and remained active through the 1960s and 1970s, but failed to gain new members in the later decades of the 1980s and 1990s and consequently disintegrated. This collection is divided into five major series. The first series includes all written records relating to the State of Israel Bonds office (newspaper clipping, programs and invitations, business cards, stickers, speeches and oversize posters and awards). Series two consists of videocassettes. Series three contains color and black and white photographs, primarily of the annual Israel Bond drive dinners (series also include negatives). Series four consists of audio cassettes (CT 2060–2066), which are recordings of the Israel Bond dinners. Series five is 17 artifacts ranging from medals to flags.
The Workmen’s Circle, Indianapolis Branch 175 Minute Book, 1918–1926. BV 1974. One bound volume. Collection guide online. Toward the end of the 19th century, Jewish emigration from Eastern Europe to the United States reached explosive proportions. These Jewish immigrants faced exploitative labor practices, blighted and overcrowded tenements, ethnic rivalries and the daunting job of assimilating into an unfamiliar new culture. Recognizing the importance of facing these challenges with a unified front, and feeling the resonance of traditional and deeply held Jewish values emphasizing community and social justice, a convocation of progressive-minded immigrants gathered in 1900 to found Der Arbeter Ring – in English, The Workmen’s Circle. This collection is comprised of one bound volume, which is a minute book of the Indianapolis Branch 175 of The Workmen’s Circle. The minute book dates from 1918 to 1926. Written entirely in Yiddish, there are some loose papers inserted throughout the book.
Indiana Jewish History Printed Materials Collection, 1958–2002. M 0929. Three manuscript boxes. Collection guide online. The Indiana Jewish Historical Society was founded in 1972. The organization is headquartered in Fort Wayne, however it holds events throughout the state. IJHS’s mission is to collect, preserve and publish information on the 250 years of Jewish Life in Indiana. IJHS is the only organization in the state which focuses exclusively on the entire Hoosier Jewish experience. The Indiana Jewish Historical Society’s archive collection at the Indiana Historical Society in Indianapolis contains more than 7,000 items of Jewish interest and the society continues to seek materials for the collection. Bulletins and newsletters from various temples throughout Indiana comprise this collection. Some of these synagogues include Sons of Abraham from Lafayette, Temple B’nai Israel from Kokomo, Congregation Beth-El Zedeck from Indianapolis, Temple Beth El from Muncie, Sinai Temple from Marion, Hebrew Orthodox Congregation from South Bend, and Congregation B’nai Jacob from Fort Wayne. Shofar, a bulletin from Congregation B’nai Torah in Indianapolis figures prominently. Jewish newspapers like The Indiana Jewish Post & Opinion, Jewish Federation News and Illiana News are included in this collection.
The Indiana Jewish Post & Opinion Collection, 1943–2000. BV 3738–3779. Forty-two bound volumes. No collection guide available. In 1930, Gabriel Cohen (1908–2007) began publishing a Kentucky version of The Jewish Post & Opinion, founding the Indiana Edition in 1933. The National Jewish Post & Opinion premiered in 1948. The Indiana edition has gone by multiple titles: The Jewish Post: A Journal for Indiana Jewry, The National Jewish Post: Indiana Edition and The Indiana Jewish Post & Opinion, which is still in publication today. This collection includes 42 bound volumes of archived issues of The Jewish Post: A Journal for Indiana Jewry (1943–46, 1948), The National Jewish Post: Indiana Edition (1950, 1953–56, 1960–61, 1964–65, 1968–69), and The Indiana Jewish Post & Opinion (1970, 1973–75, 1978–97, 1999–2000).
The Jewish Experience Oral History Project, 1994–1996. M 0894. One manuscript box. Collection guide online. Between 1994 and 1996, as part of The Jewish Experience Oral History Project, 18Jewish men and women whose families had emigrated from Europe during the early 20th century were interviewed. All 18 settled in the Michiana region of South Bend and Mishawaka. The project was sponsored by the Michiana Jewish Historical Society. The interviewees discussed how their families adjusted to their new lives in the United States. This collection contains 18 oral history interview transcriptions and related papers (1994–96). The materials are arranged alphabetically.
Jewish Newsletters Collection, 2009–2010. M 1012. One manuscript box. Collection Guide online. The history of Sinai Temple dates back to 1904, when the first reform Jewish services were held in Michigan City. In 1912 to 1913, a congregation under the leadership of Moses Moritz adopted the name “Sinai Congregation.” After an increase in membership post-World War II, a new Temple Center imperative emerged, leading to the construction of the current Temple building (which opened in May of 1953). The Jewish Federation of Greater Indianapolis is the central philanthropic, planning and community relations organization of the Jewish community. The Federation and its agencies, in cooperation with the synagogues, function to promote the general welfare of the Jewish community and to ensure the creative survival and continuity of the Jewish people. This collection includes nine issues of the Sinai Temple Bulletin (Michigan City, Indiana), ranging from July 2009 to April 2010. These occupy folders 1 and 2. Folder 3 contains two issues of the Congregation Beth-El Zedeck monthly newsletter, Besamim (No. 5-6, 2010), addressed to Sheila Greenwald. Folder 4 contains the January/February 2010 edition of the JFGI news.
The Wabash Jewish Experience Monograph, 2007. SC 2889. One manuscript folder. No collection guide available. A retired teacher of the Wabash City Schools, Ronald L. Woodward was appointed the Wabash County Historian in 1981, and has served continuously since. From 1981 to 1992, Woodward held the position of assistant curator at the Wabash County Historical Museum. A past president of both the Wabash County Historical Society and the Wabash County Genealogical Society, Woodward has also served as the editor of the Wabash County Historical Society Peek at the Past and the Wabash County Genealogical Society Family Branches newsletters. In 2000, Woodward was selected by the Indiana Historical Society as that year’s Hoosier Historian and in May 2011, he was honored by IHS for 30 years of services as County Historian. This collection is comprised solely of a monograph written by Ronald L. Woodward titled “The Wabash Jewish Experience.” It was given as a handout to accompany a program and walking tour presented by Woodward at the Indiana Jewish Historical Society 2007 spring meeting held at the Honeywell Center in Wabash on April 22. Woodward’s talk followed the program closely. The monograph is stored in one legal-sized manuscript folder.
What They Said: Oral Histories from Jewish Citizens Around the State Transcription, 1974–1981. SC 2815. Seven manuscript folders. Collection guide online. Longtime Jewish residents from Muncie, Ligonier, Evansville, Lafayette, South Bend, Gary, Kokomo, and Crawfordsville were interviewed individually and collectively through a focus group. The interviews took place between 1974 and 1975, although several transcripts are not dated. The panel discussion took place in Muncie in 1981. Interviewees discussed anti-Semitism, KKK influence in their town, growing up, temple and synagogue life. The project was funded through an Indiana Heritage Research Grant through the Indiana Historical Society. Seven typed transcripts of six individual interviews done in 1974 and 1975, and one panel discussion conducted in 1981 make up the collection. Each transcription is in a legal size manuscript folder.
Gibson Company, Indianapolis, Indiana Records, 1895–1998. M 0573, OM 0253, BV 3532. Eleven manuscript boxes, seven oversize folders, one bound volume, two boxes of photographs, one oversize photo album, seven catalogs, six artifacts. Collection guide online. The Gibson Company of Indianapolis was established by Cecil Gibson in 1898 as a bicycle shop. With the rise of the automobile industry, it became chiefly concerned with the distribution of automotive accessories. The company expanded and at one time operated 23 branches in Indiana, Ohio and Michigan. The Capitol Motors Division of the Gibson Company sold automobiles at the Indianapolis location to 1963. Among the other types of goods that were distributed by the Gibson Company were Norge refrigerators, Hamilton dryers and Arvin televisions. After the company changed ownership and name a few more times, the company ceased operations in 1984. The collection, made up of several individual donations of materials, contains the records of the Gibson Company and related operations and is divided into eight series: 1) Ledgers and Minute Books, 2)Contracts, 3) Catalogs, 4) Newsletters, 5) Scrapbooks and Company History, 6) Advertising Photographs, 7) Architectural Drawing and Building Specifications and 8) General Operational Records.
Kipp Brothers Company Minute Book, 1891–1944. M 0850. One manuscript box. Collection guide online. Kipp Bros. Company, now doing business as KIPP Brothers, has been a direct importer and wholesaler of novelty items since 1880. First established by Albrecht and Robert Kipp as the Kipp Brothers Partnership, they operated out of warehouses and offices at 37–41 South Meridian St. until April 2001. From its new location at 9760 Mayflower Park Drive, KIPP Brothers continues as an importer and wholesaler of toys and novelties. The collection contains one bound volume, the corporation’s minute book for the years 1893 to 1940, with some earlier and later notes included. Interleaved loose papers, including balance sheets, meeting minutes and bank paperwork, have been removed from the book and filed in folders according to where they were placed. Pages 26 through 161 of the book contain records; the rest are blank. The original Articles of Association and Bylaws, Certificate of Incorporation, and Bylaws are transcribed into the book, with amendments noted in the minutes.
Oppenheim’s Dry Goods Store Records, 1874–2000. M 0802, OMB 0112, BV 3607-3614. Seventeen manuscript folders, one OMB box, eight bound volumes, one OVA photographs folder, one negative, three books, 12 artifacts. Collection guide online. In 1875, Jacob Oppenheim opened Oppenheim’s New York Cheap Store in North Manchester. The store motto was and remained, “ … the best place to trade, after all.” In the beginning, Jacob offered men’s, boys’ and women’s clothing, as well as groceries. The store went through several name changes until by the 1930s it was simply called Oppenheim’s. Jacob died in 1883, leaving the store to be run by his sons, Ben and Ike. Ike left the business in 1922, at which time Ben’s son Jean entered into the family business. Jean stayed until his death in 1949, his son Phil became owner and manager. The store closed in 2000. The Oppenheim store records are broken down into seven series based upon the various aspects of the operation primarily from 1874 to 1979: 1) Business/Accounting Journals, 2) Finances (Receipts, Checks, Payroll, Taxes and Bankbooks), 3) Operational Records (Employees Hours, Lease, Permits), 4) Advertisements and Catalogs, 5) Correspondence, Newspaper Clippings, and Miscellaneous, 6) Visual Materials, 7) Printed Materials and Artifacts.