Search our digital collections from wherever you are. Nearly 100,000 digital images are available, with more added every week. Our premier collections on Indiana and the Old Northwest include books, photographs, early maps, letters, diaries and more.
Visit Destination Indiana for your portal to the past. Explore thousands of images organized into hundreds of topical journeys. Every Indiana county is represented in this ever-expanding site.
Currently, nearly 100,000 digital images are available for research on the IHS website, with more added every week. The Preservation Imaging Lab scans materials covering a variety of subjects and formats. These digital images constitute only a small percentage of the more than 1.7 million photographs in the IHS collection.
View Digital Collections
- Larry Foster photographed a lot of what was happening in Indianapolis from 1939 to 1960 from concerts to war bond rallies and street scenes to factories. Want to see a bear playing an accordion? What about a submarine on Monument Circle? View Collection
- Read the letters home from David Beem as he experienced the American Civil War. Thanks to the generosity of his descendants, you can also see how the family has served our country in other wars. View Collection
- Tired of being stuck at home? Get a taste of automobile touring in Indiana with these photographs taken in the 1910s and 1920s. View Collection
- Worked your way through all your dvds already? We have some documentaries and other footage on our website–how about that Soap Box Derby? View Collection
- Kelly offers us a visual tour of the South Whitley, Indiana area in the 1910s. Glass plate negatives were used before film negatives were invented. Look at the amazing details by using the little zoom bar above the image. View Collection
- We had to postpone our annual Circus Day this year. What about visiting circuses from long ago? View Collection
- Many Hoosiers worked hard for civil rights. See some of the people and documents that show how hard they worked. View Collection
- Have you watched “Self Made” on Netflix? It was inspired by the amazing Sarah Breedlove Walker, also known as Madam C.J. Walker. Would you like to see real pictures from her life and her company? What about reading some of those business papers and sorting fact from fiction? View Collection
- Are you looking for something to read, but don’t want to commit to a whole book right now? Traces magazine might be just the thing. We have issues from 1989 to 2013 available here. You can search by topic or just read them from cover to cover. View Collection
- While staying home, you can take a trip back in time to parks and places that later became parks! Some spots don’t look very inviting in these pictures, but you can use Google to see how they look today. View Collection