Your membership is important
Your support of the Indiana Historical Society is a gift to the Hoosier State. You can bolster our commitment to collect, preserve, interpret and share Indiana’s history with a gift, your membership or a donation of your time. Here are just a few things you help with:
- There are more than 2 million items in our collection – photos, letters and documents that tell Indiana’s story. We have carefully collected and preserved these treasures for 180 years.
- The William H. Smith Memorial Library at the History Center assists nearly 9,000 people per year, from researchers to people looking into their family histories.
- Every year, more than 25,000 Indiana students participate in our programs, including National History Day in Indiana.
- We support teachers with hands-on programs at the History Center and provide the curriculum they need to make history fun and interesting.
- Our local history services team travels more than 24,000 miles per year to support local historical societies and organizations across the state. And our traveling exhibits reach more than 120,000 people per year – we take history to them.
- The Indiana Experience at the History Center – changing the way people learn about history.
When you become a member of the Indiana Historical Society, you join the thousands of people who are supporting our efforts to preserve, protect and share our rich Hoosier heritage. Your participation helps ensure that Indiana treasures don’t leave our state, that they are carefully preserved and that our schoolchildren learn about their past. And you receive outstanding benefits. All membership levels include:
- Free admission to the Indiana Experience – a $9 value per adult visit.
- 10% off purchases in the Basile History Market.
- An optional, free subscription to Traces – the popular history magazine that takes a modern look at Indiana history – a $28 value!
- An optional free subscription to THG: Connections – our family history and genealogy magazine – a $10 value!
- Discounted or free admission to select IHS programs, events and trips.
- Our award-winning bimonthly member newsletter INPerspective delivered right to your door.
- 10% discount at the Stardust Terrace Café operated by Hoaglin Catering.
- Invitations to member events.
- Reduced pricing for copies and photo orders through the William H. Smith Memorial Library.
- One free hour of research by a library staff member. Email your request and member number to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Special discount offers throughout the year at other Indiana cultural institutions – including discounted membership opportunities.
- Membership benefits at more than 270 organizations and museums nationwide through the Time Travelers program.
Please note, the Indiana Historical Society’s parking lot is reserved for visitors to the History Center. Complimentary parking is available for members who visit the Indiana Experience, make a purchase of $9 at the Stardust Terrace Café or the Basile History Market, use the William H. Smith Memorial Library or attend a special event at the History Center.
At the Benefactor level, receive all benefits of a Sustaining membership as well as an invitation to the exclusive Living Legends Gala, invitations to select Storytellers Circle events and day trips, and free or discounted admission to many programs and activities, including special exhibits, demonstrations, lectures and presentations.
As a History Patron, receive all benefits of a Benefactor membership, plus an invitation to join the members of the Council of 1816 for one special event each year; invitation to an intimate, behind-the-scenes tour of our Collections, Conservation Lab and Indiana Experience exhibits; and two complimentary visitor passes.
The Council of 1816 is open to any donor that makes a gift of $1,000 or more. To learn more about the exclusive membership benefits available to this group, call (317) 234-2670.